The best independent pizza and Italian restaurants are not where you might expect and the best supermarket pasta might surprise you. The Pizza, Pasta and Italian Food Association (PAPA) Awards have recognised the best in the Italian Food industry.
The UK’s finest Independent Italian Restaurant is Il Michelangelo in Weston-Super-Mare and the best Independent Pizza Restaurant is Suffolk Stonehouse in Bungay. The Pizza Restaurant Chain Award went to Pizza Express; ASK Italian scooped the Italian Restaurant Chain Award and Co-Operative, Iceland and Aldi pick up two awards each.
These were just some of the awards given out at last night’s (Sunday 15 November) 25th Anniversary PAPA Awards at the Lancaster London Hotel, Hyde Park. Some 450 of the Industry’s leading lights came out to recognise the wonderful achievements of their peers.
Guest Host, Aldo Zilli, said: “The PAPA Awards are the premier awards for Italian food – I should know, I won a few for my restaurants! It’s great to have won them and even better now to be hosting the main awards and judging the Pizza and Pasta Chef competitions. I have always had a passion for my food and it’s great that all of you [everyone present at the awards] do too.”
The full list of award winners are:
- Pizza Chef of the Year Paulo Crolla – Paolo’s Italian, Glasgow;
- Pasta Chef of the Year Peter Puntrello – Sub Xpress, Peterborough;
- Independent Italian Restaurant Award – Il Michelangelo, Weston-Super-Mare;
- Italian Restaurant Chain Award – ASK Italian;
- Independent Pizza Restaurant Award- Suffolk Stonehouse, Bungay;
- Pizza Restaurant Chain Award – Pizza Express;
- Independent Pizza Delivery Store – Stone Willy’s Kitchen, Birmingham.
Pizza Delivery Chain Award
- Regional Winner – Basilico;
- National Winner – Papa John’s.
New Product/Ingredient Award
- Food Service Category – Taste of Sicily White Truffle Oil;
- Retail Category – Italia Formaggi Raspadura cheese;
- Innovative Food to Go Award – Winner: Project Pie UK, Dundee.
The PAPA Marketing Award
- Regional Award – La Favorita, 10th Anniversary campaign;
- National Award – Iceland – Power of Frozen campaign.
Manufactured Pizza Product Award
- Everyday Category – Iceland – Pizza Pala range – ham, mushroom and mascarpone;
- Indulgent Category – Co-operative Truly Irresistible Kashmiri butter chicken, red onion and spinach pizza;
- Innovative Category – Goodfella’s gluten free pepperoni, chorizo and mushroom pizza.
Manufactured Pasta Product Award
- Retail Ambient Category – Morrisons Signature Lumaconi;
- Retail Chilled Category – La Tua Pasta – Tortelloni black truffle;
- Foodservice Category – Rondanini – hand made braised beef Tortelloni with Barolo wine;
- Frozen Pizza Multiple Retailer of the Year – Aldi;
- Convenience Store Pizza Retailer of the Year – The Co-operative for the second successive year;
- Chilled Pizza Multiple Retailer of the Year – Waitrose;
- Pasta Retailer Award – Aldi (Last year’s joint winner alongside Waitrose);
The PAPA Industry Award – John Lucas, Managing Director of Stateside Foods, who has been with the company more than 20 years and is responsible for many million pounds of investment, development and growth within Stateside and has influenced growth across the whole sector.
For more information see www.papa.org.uk